Full Parish Council Meeting
Tuesday 17th March 2020, 7.30pm
Great Barford Village Hall
Friday May 22nd, 2020
You can view and comment on Planning Applications on the Bedford Borough Council website
Current planning applications in Great Barford for May can be found on the Parish Council website:
These include various applications for The Nurseries on New Road and for an illuminated sign on Bedford Road. ... See MoreSee Less
Wednesday May 6th, 2020
Celebrate VE Day At Home This Year
Bedford Borough Council is asking everyone to have stay safe by staying at home to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of VE Day on the 8th May.
The celebrations for VE Day this year are unlike any before, with the country observing social distancing in order to tackle coronavirus. While it’s no longer possible to hold the street parties and mass celebrations that were originally planned, you can still join the celebrations at home and online.
To help you celebrate in a safe way, the Borough Council has issued a list of events and activities that you take part in from your own home. From preparing coloured bunting for your windows to raising a toast to the nations heroes past and present, there are still ways to mark the historic date.
Ways to commemorate:
- Ahead of the day why not prepare some coloured bunting with the Great British Bunting initiative
- Pause for a Two Minute Silence at 11am and watch stories and memories from those who served and sacrificed during the Second World War
- Join ‘The Nation’s Toast’ at 3pm – raise a glass with the nation to the heroes of WWII (broadcast starts at 2.45pm on BBC1)
- Watch further VE Day 75 special broadcasts on the BBC, including extracts from Churchill’s famous victory speech and Her Majesty The Queen addressing the nation at 9pm
- Take part in a national singalong of Dame Vera Lynn’s ‘We’ll meet again’
- Have an indoor or back garden picnic. Your menu choices could include recipe ideas from 1945!
- Visit the English Heritage website to learn songs from the era, including classics from Glenn Miller and Vera Lynn, and get tips on how to dance the Lindy Hop.
- Visit the VE Day 75 website to learn about the history of the war. They’ve also got some recipes to take it back to 1945, including spam hash and eggless fruit cake.
- Take Dan Snow’s VE Day challenge for young people
- Share your VE Day activities on social media using the #VEDay75 hashtag ... See MoreSee Less